Release notes v3.2
Turn your portal into a complete reporting platform!
- #AlloyUI Toolbar portlet
- #Pagination portlet
- #BIRT resources in 'Document & Media' Professional Edition
- #AlloyUI tooltips
- #Better UI Dialog management
- #Delayed loading fragments
- #Direct link to portlet preferences
- #Portlet preferences theme
- #Callback API on export
- #Better performances
- #New report-designs
- #Minor fixes & enhancements
- #Liferay 7
- Cross-browser: this toolbar is perfect on desktop & mobile devices
- Responsive: the orientation is switched from horizontal to vertical layout depending on screen resolution
- Supports automatically your portal theme. For example the picture below shows how it is rendered with the default theme of Liferay 7.
- Ergonomic export: available documents pop just below the toolbar (see 'Download' link in the picture), whereas in older versions users had to scroll in the report window to access document links
- Select toolbar actions for each portlet window through simple preferences!
The embedded toolbar is of course still available if you want to use it, but it had a couple of drawbacks:
- It was not performing well enough with mobile devices
- It dit not take advantage of the portal theme.
- It sometimes prevents from clicking hyperlinks at the top left corner of reports
This is still enabled by default but we can remove it in one click in portlet preferences:
See it in action with a BIRT report having 1300 pages!
- It can be dragged from the control panel of your portal onto the page body. This allows to design flexible page layouts: we can arrange the pagination above, below or beside a report window!
- Simple but useful portlet preferences
- This component is automatically using your portal theme! For instance here is below what it looks like with the default theme of Liferay 7. In this example, notice we take advantage of a fluid 1-2-1 page layout to arrange side by side the toolbar portlet and the pagination portlet.
Of course in previous versions, using 'Document & Media' folders was already possible for report-designs (.rptdesign). Version 3.2 is extending this ability to any resource used by your BIRT reports:
- BIRT libraries (.rptlibrary)
- Background images (.jpg recommended)
- Java libraries (.jar)
- Translation files (.properties)
- Access permissions based on user role and / or site membership
- a new version is automatically created when we edit a resource
- rollback in one click to a previous version
How to setup a resource path?
We can dynamically setup a resource path just by clicking a button! In Visioneo repository, a select action is available just next to the "BIRT Resource path" input:
Clicking this button allows to choose a Document & media folder as a resource path:
We can setup a different 'resource path' for each site of the portal! Although the site-based approach for resources was already available in version 3.1 with file system folders, it is actually meaningful with document & media folders: logged as admin we just need to click "Content->Document & Media" from a site as shown below to manage BIRT reports & resources of this site!
- Using 'document & media' folders is facultative: if you prefer to keep using a file system path for one specific site or for all sites, then just set an absolute URI in the repository portlet.
- If you upgrade from a previous version, by default the repository portlet will of course use the former "Resource path" settings, allowing to migrate smoothly BIRT resources to a 'Document & Media' folder later if you plan to do so.
- Visit repository portlet documentation for more informations
- This component is perfect both for desktop and touch devices
- It makes use of your existing portal theme
- AlloyUI tooltips are easier to manage, especially to control the stack order
Visioneo dialogs already performed very well in previous versions both with Android and older Apple IOS, but a couple of minor issues have appeared starting from IOS8: they are addressed in Visioneo 3.2!
- Now both drillthrough and parameter dialogs are always maximized in portrait orientation
- Better support for IOS8 and later (IPads/IPhones)
- Scroll in drillthrough windows with touch events
- Parameter windows is correctly centered, and it always pops up at the top of the page
- A disgraceful vertical scrollbar was sometimes appearing during parameters loading, this is fixed
Thus when a report is rendered very fastly end-users won't even notice there has been a server request, leading to a more pleasant user experience. For instance most of the time the page navigation of this report should not trigger the loading fragment, although it depends on many factors (the latency of your internet connection, your location, how busy the server is etc.) . Similarly when a report has been recently rendered and is cached, most of the time users should not see the loading fragment.
The default delay is set to 650ms, it can be customized in a JSP page: see "data-visio-delay" attribute in visioneoPortlet_loadview.jsp.
Of course the common way to edit preferences is still to click the top-right corner icon of the portlet window, but this new button is more convenient especially for new users and tablet users: we can't miss it!
'doExport' method supports a callback function as third argument
This callback function receives an event with a status and the URL of the requested document. Here is a concrete example:
//do stuff with event.url and event.status
//For example load the document in a 'Document & media' folder of your portal, attach it to a mail etc...
A such mechanism offers many possibilities in your custom portlets! By default the URL returned is valid 15 minutes before being cleaned by the engine. This delay is more than enough to do anything we like with documents in this callback function. It can be customized if necessary with property cleartask.maxoldtime in reportlet.properties.
In terms of report generation time, the most impressive enhancements had already been embedded in version 3.1. However Visioneo 3.2 comes with further optimizations which should significantly improve performances. This version can fit to any context having a large number of reporting-users, as long as BIRT reports are well designed.
Important reminders related to performances
A "well designed" report is a very subjective assertion. At least keep in mind these fundamental principles:
- Always use a connection pool to access a database from BIRT datasources.
- Use wisely report parameters to extract a reasonable dataset size. Most of performance troubles happen when data filters are applied inside the report, whereas they should be applied in the dataset query. Please visit report data volume article for more informations.
- Have a strict quality insurance control on new reports. As you can see with most of live samples, with Visioneo 3.2 a BIRT report requiring a generation time longer than 1 - 2 seconds (except for the first execution) should probably be optimized.
- Long generation time can happen with large reports, in particular those containing many charts but they should be exceptions. For instance, export-actions of this example (76 charts on 19 pages) last from 6 to 15 seconds when they are not cached. For such reports here are a couple of suggestions:
- Limit the population of users having access to large reports
- Limit the number of report parameters of large reports, and enable the cache in portlet preferences (see "Use reports cache" in screen below): the less report parameters we have, the more likely cache entries will be hit. This is always a matter of compromise, but for instance with such synthesis reports we would typically have two parameters:
- a period-based parameter (month, week,..)
- a 'geography' parameter (country, region, agency,...)
Visioneo cache management is based on the leading java framework ehcache, it is extremely robust and efficient.
- Security improved for requests in portals running without a security manager.
- If your portal has a security manager enabled (PACL in Liferay) this enhancement is pointless: portlets are already 100% secured with PACL
Report-design samples have been included or updated
Community & Professional Edition
- 'Interactivity impact' is included: it was announced in v3.1 but the report-design was missing in the package.
- 'City performance' is updated (optimized for Excel and responsive layout)
- 'Cascading parameter' is updated (optimized for Excel and responsive layout)
- Lighter themes in visioneo-commons.rptlibrary (lightness, dark, ocean, country: background images are removed)
- Interactive table sample is included in Visioneo PE 3.2! This report is based on classic models sample and does not have any resource dependency: it will work as it is in your own BIRT Eclipse designer 4.5. If you need this sample, feel free to get a 30-day-trial to be able to download visioneo PE and locate visioneo-interactive-table.rptdesign within. By the way you will be able to appreciate the fantastic repository management of the professional edition!
- Cache key fixed for recursive drill in new window
- CSS separator removed for list parameters, numeric parameters and text parameters
- Help icons (in parameters dialog and external parameters): jQuery UI icons have been replaced with AlloyUI icons
- Now all portlets have their own separate localization properties file under <visioneo root>/WEB-INF/classes/org/visioneo/localization. This implies few redundancies across translation files but it is cleaner, easier to customize and easier to maintain.
Visioneo packages uploaded to Liferay Marketplace are optimized for Liferay 6.2+ CE & EE. Obviously, Liferay 7 is not officially supported since at the time of writing this article it is still in alpha 2 version.
If you want to try visioneo 3.2 with an early Liferay 7 portal you just need to add it as a supported version in this file: <visioneo app>/WEB-INF/liferay-plugin-package.properties
Release notes v3.1 26 September 2015
Release notes v2.2 19 August 2015
Release notes v1.4.1 06 December 2013
Release notes v1.4.0 03 December 2013
Release notes v1.3.0 13 October 2013
Release notes v2.0 26 September 2013
Release notes v2.1 01 August 2013
Integration tests v1.1.1 16 March 2013
Release Notes V1.0.1.Final 15 March 2013
Release notes v1.1.1 11 March 2013
Release notes v2.1 852938 Views
Release notes 0.9.1 271043 Views
Release notes 0.9.2 261086 Views
Release notes 0.9.3 259746 Views
Release Notes v1.0RC3 259447 Views
Release Notes v1.0RC4 244653 Views
Release notes 0.9.4 243642 Views
Release Notes V1.0.RC5 233239 Views
Release notes v1.2.2 216931 Views
Release notes v2.0 204757 Views